OOO37s – Relic
Our OOO-series (pronounced “triple-oh”) guitars are based very closely on the pre-war guitars which are revered by so many players. In the pre-war era there were a lot of spec changes with OOO-series guitars. Rather than give you a full history lesson, we’d like to let you know how we are currently making them at Atkin.
For our standard Atkin OOO37 slotheadstock we build as standard to the following specs:
- 15-inch lower bout OM body shape
- 25.4″ Atkin standard scale length
- 12 frets to the body
- 1 3/4″ nut (45mm, 2mm wider than our standard)
- Rosewood Back and Side
- Sitka top and red spruce bracing
- Ebony fingerboard and bridge.
- Herringbone Trim
Moving the 12 fret to the body has three important consequences: Firstly, the bridge moves closer to the centre of the lower bout where it can vibrate more freely, altering the tone and sustain of the instrument; secondly, the shorter neck is also stiffer, putting more of the strings’ energy into the soundboard. Finally, the nut moves closer to the player’s body, making for a comfortable playing position.
Our OOO37 slot offers the same kind of clear, finely balanced tone as the O and OO, but with a fuller sound and more volume.
At Atkin, we pride ourselves on our finishes. Alister details, sprays and polishes every guitar by hand with our own nitrocellulose blend.
The OOO37-slot is available in two finish options:
Gloss: Our flat high-gloss nitro finish creates a beautiful flat shine that lets the character of the wood and sunburst through. Just like a new “out of the box” pre-war guitar. Model: OOO37s
Relic (featured on this page): Featuring a cracked finish top, light staining and ageing on the binding, and a vintage patina, Alister’s retro finishes are totally unique in the acoustic guitar world – warm to the touch and still responsive. Model: OOO37s-R
- Top:Torrified Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides:Indian Rosewood
- Backstrip:Zipper Style
- Headstock overlay:East Indian Rosewood
- Logo:Atkin Decal
- Truss Rod:Adjustable double action
- Binding:Grained ivoroid
- Bracing:Pre-war scalloped bracing
- lacquer finish:Age toned relic gloss nitrocellulose
- Nut & Saddle:Bone
- Tuners:Nickel Gotoh
- Side dot fingerboard markers:White Celluloid
- Fret Markers:Mother of Pearl
- Case:Atkin Oxblood
- Fingerboard Radius:16-inch
- Body Length:20 1/4"
- Body Depth:4 1/8"
- Lower bout width:15"
- Total Length:39 1/2"
- Scale Length:25 1/2"
- Nut Width:1 3/4"